[OS X TeX] Track Changes - Functionality for collaborative work

Robert Sekuler sekuler at brandeis.edu
Tue Feb 21 08:33:55 EST 2006

Winfried:
I've used both of the non-elegant approaches you describe, depending
which of my colleagues happened to be working with me.  Another
approach, which some colleagues like, or at least put up with, is to
send them a pdf with linenumbers added (using the lineno.sty
package).  They then prepare a separate text or word document where
comments/changes are keyed to the linenumbers.  Again, not elegant,
but workable --until you convert your colleagues.
RS
On Feb 21, 2006, at 08:16, Winfried Zettelmeyer wrote:

> Dear all,
> My recent change to TeX stems from several fatal crashes while
> processing a major report in WORD, written by a team of three. I
> for my part have changed the entire text '\include[ing]graph[s]'
> and \longtable[s] successfully to LaTeX via TeXshop, it works
> excellently. My two colleagues, however, continue to work with WORD
> (and PCs). For the next weeks major additions/ changes/ corrections
> are due, so the question is:
> How to work in a team with "WYSIWYGs" which have (not yet)
> converted from "the other world" ?
>
> The thread "Functionality for collaborative work" from the Macostex-
> archives (May 2005) unfortunately does not help as it focuses on a
> team whose members use TeX individually.
> For an immediate solution I see two possibilities:
> 1) To send the source file to the colleagues to add/change/correct
> with a word processor (such as WORD) in different textstyles;
> however, I already imagine the gasping sounds of dispair of them
> seeing all those blue backslashes and the little attention given to
> spaces and line length...
> 2) To send the pdf file and have them comment on it with Adobe
> Acrobat Professional (if they have it), but the problem is that one
> cannot insert text into a line visibly (just in a comment box or
> below in a view comments section), so it is not as attractive as
> WORD's Track Changes feature.
> Is there a better method to solve this problem ?
> Thanks in advance
> Winfried

Robert Sekuler
"There are known knowns.  There are things we know we know.
We also know there are known unknowns.
That is to say, we know that there are some things we do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't
know." - Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld