[OS X TeX] Track Changes - Functionality for collaborative work

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Tue Feb 21 18:15:44 EST 2006

On Feb 21, 2006, at 11:12 AM, Winfried Zettelmeyer wrote:

> Another (4) possibility I have just tried is to produce a WORD file
> from the pdf output file to have the reviewers use their customary
> track changes tool on the doc text. However, I could not manage to
> save my 215 page pdf file as doc. It took about 40 minutes and
> Adobe Professional hung up (not responding) while saving the last
> page. Of course, formatting, tables etc. would be gone in that doc
> file anyway.

Have you tried tex4ht like this:

htlatex filename "html,0"

This should create an html file your colleagues could open in word,
edit, save as a doc file and send back. I was thinking you might have
trouble with longtable, but tex4ht appears to have provisions for
long table:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/tex4ht/longtable.4ht

Entering:

htlatex filename "html,3"

will break the output into html files at \sections.

tex4ht runs from the terminal. there are some macros that allow you
to run it from TeXShop, I think, and there is a Mac OS X GUI here:

http://www.simpletex4ht.free.fr/

but I have zero experience with the macros or the GUI, and find the
command line easy to use.