[OS X TeX] OS-X security

andi petculescu a-petculescu at northwestern.edu
Wed Feb 22 11:59:05 EST 2006

Hi folks,

First of all, I apologize for the non-TeX issue and I'll fully understand
if the site moderator decides not to give the green light to this post. I
am posting this message in the hope that it won't generate a spate of
off-topic messages. But, I would like to remind everybody to keep an eye
open for the recent OS-X malware/worms/viruses etc. A good way to keep
up-to-date is to check Google -> News- > Sci/Tech for the most recent
developments.

Excerpt from http://news.designtechnica.com/article9596.html :

"Safari users should disable the "Open 'safe' files after downloading"
option in General pane of Safari's preferences. This option is disabled by
default in new installations of Mac OS X 10.4.5, but may be enabled by
default in older systems or systems which have been upgraded to Mac OS X
10.4.5.
So far, Safari is the only application known to be affected, although it is
possible other programs could be vulnerable to similar attacks. The
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/>Camino and
<http://news.designtechnica.com/mozilla.com/firefox/>Firefox Web browsers
are not vulnerable to this particular exploit.
Users may also be able to protect themselves from the exploit by removing
the Terminal application from its default location in Applications >
Utilities. (However, doing so may confuse future system updaters, so users
would probably have to remember to put it back before installing new
software.)"

Cheers,
-Andi