[OS X TeX] Unwanted blank page

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 20:15:52 EST 2006

Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 2 Jan 2006, at 21:45, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> The only remaining problem is that I keep getting an "almost" blank
>> page if front of each included "set of exercises" in that there is
>> just the "MATH 016 HomeWork For Lesson #17" heading on the HomeWork
>> file and the included "set of exercises" starts on the next page
>> thus leaving a huge expanse of blank space on the first page.
>

> I haven't followed all of the discussion*, however, you are aware
> that the standard \include command will always start on a new
> righthand page?

Well, I hadn't realized that I wouldn't be able to circumvent that.

> That is the standard \include command, not your  renewed version I
> quoted in the footnote, which frankly doesn't make  sense to me at all.

I was overjoyed when someone on this list suggested
\renewcommand{\includegraphic}[1][]{\url} because what it did was  to
substitute the file name for the actual graphics which allowed me to
work on the text on the school's wintel where, anyhow, I couldn't have
worked on the graphics since Intaglio is a Mac OS X only application.
Then, back home, I comment out \renewcommand{\includegraphic}[1][]{\url}
and the \includegraphics pick the graphics off my disk. This is
extremely neat and I am embarrassed not to remember who suggested it.

So, I tried to do the same thing in my new situation and, except for the
"almost" blank page, it works perfectly:

What {\include}[1][]{\url} does is to substitute the file name for the
sets of exercises which will allow me to handout all the lectures at the
beginning of the semester and the sets of exercises, included in
HomeWork files, as we go along. Other users might prefer to handout
lectures and exercises at the beginning, in a textbook form. These would
just comment out \renewcommand{\include}[1][]{\url} in  the main file
and the \includes will now pick the sets of exercises.

>   \include is _only_ meant for  chapters, where you probably _want_ to
> start on a new page.

But the little bit that I now know about LaTeX says there has to be a
way to get a non-standard \include that will not start on a new page but
I don't know how to do it. This, though, is precisely what I need here.

Best regards
--Schremmer