[OS X TeX] soul package and utf8

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Jan 11 06:10:33 EST 2006

Hi,

this is not strictly Mac specific, but the soul package has been
discussed here before AFAIK. I'm unable to run soul with utf8
encoding, it just doesn't seem able to handle it properly. This seems
like a massive bug (or feature missing) but I haven't found anything
on this on the web.

My little example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage{color, soul}
\begin{document}
Täst \hl{täst}
\end{document}

Notice how the first umlaut is typeset properly, while the \hl
command of the soul package stumbles over it.

Is this normal?

TIA

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick