[OS X TeX] Semi-false alarm: TeX uninstall is dangerous if installed in a non-standard place (Modified by Gerben Wierda)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Jan 11 05:50:50 EST 2006

I wrote:

> Note that the TeX i-Package uninstall gives you an option to uninstall
> "Everything", which simply removes the install location, e.g. by
> default
> /usr/local/teTeX

No it doesn't. I was not at my machine when I wrote that but I never
was so stupid to write it that way, luckily.

> But if you have chosen another install location like /Applications,
> Uninstall will remove /Applications completely!

No it will not.

> Not many people install in a non-default locatoin and uninstall is used
> almost never. Still, this is potentially dangerous so I need to put out
> this warning now as I cannot fix it before later today.

The situation is less dramatic. Setting ownership is applied to
everything in the install location and removal is rather rough (during
uninstall and during the preparation phase of install).

> I will change this asap.

That I will.