[OS X TeX] psfrag troubles/PostScript in 10.4.4

Thomas Schröder hydrochlorix at gmx.net
Thu Jan 12 08:50:03 EST 2006

Dear list,

I started to write my thesis on my old G4 a while ago. I'm preparing
most of my graphs with KaleidaGraph which works really nicely, most
of the time. Sometimes, though, I'm not too happy with KaleidaGraph's
output, so, instead of printing those graphs into PDF files I print
them into PostScript files which I then enhance with psfrag and
convert them afterwards into PDF.

Recently, I switched writing to my iMac G5 which is a lot nicer, but
somehow, my psfrag enhancements stopped working on it. Taking a
closer look, I realized that on the iMac those PostScript files
differ from those created on the G4. On the G4 they sport this comment:

  %%Creator: (KaleidaGraph: pictwpstops filter 1.0)

On the iMac it's this one:

%%Creator: (KaleidaGraph: cgpdftops CUPS filter)

The PostScript files that are created on the G4 contain all the
labels of the graphs which I'd like to change in plain form, whilst
those created on the iMac don't which is the reason that psfrag
doesn't work on them anymore. The major difference between the G4 and
the iMac is that the G4 runs OS X 10.4.2 and the iMac 10.4.4. The
problem already existed when the iMac was still running 10.4.3, but
actually I'm not really sure whether this is an issue of
10.4.3/10.4.4 or something in my setup.

With the help on this site

http://users.phg-online.de/tk/MOSXS/postscriptfile.txt

I set up a virtual printer that prints directly to PostScript but
those files are still printed with cgpdftops instead of pictwpstops
and they still don't contain any labels.

Unfortunately, KaleidaGraph can't export directly to EPS or PS and
since I sold the G4 and only kept its hard drive that is now running
as an external FireWire drive that I can boot from this is a real
pain. So, if anybody knows how I can get back nice and clean
PostScript output that works with psfrag, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks in advance.

	Ciao, Thomas