[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: [OS X TeX] DVIPS config file]

Vinayak Vatsal vatsal at math.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 18 16:20:37 EST 2006

On 18-Jan-06, at 12:41 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

[snip]

>> However, it's not nice to set DVIPSRC in texmf.cnf  -- this is
>> going to break with every update, I guess.
>
> Yes, but updates are not that frequent and the update process with
> the i-Package saves your previous texmf.cnf so th erepair is easy.

I see. I guess it's not too bad, then.

>> It used to be that one could set environment variables for GIU
>> processes like TeXShop by putting them in .MacOSX/
>> environment.plist. and it would be a better solution to set
>> DVISPRC there, but I think Apple has changed somethin, as this
>> method doesn't work any more.
>
> For a variable like DVIPSRC it would be OK, I guess. But it does
> not work anymore? Did they document that somewhere?

I don't know what happened. I have some scripts that are supposed
executed when running latex from TeXShop that were dependent on
variables set in environment.plist, but these scripts all fail now. I
can get the scripts to run if I manually set the variables in
Terminal.app or texmf.cnf, but for some reason TeXShop does not want
to pass the variables. So either Apple changed something in the way
environment variables are handled, or something changed in TeXShop.

>> Do you know how one is supposed to set these variables now?
>
> No. You could ask Dick Koch to add environment settings to TeXShop
> preferences.

I will try that.

Thanks.

Vinayak Vatsal