[OS X TeX] Bibdesk preview fails

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Jan 27 21:01:56 EST 2006

Hi Alan,

On Jan 27, 2006, at 15:42, Alan Munn wrote:

> Hi, I'm using BibDesk (latest version 1.2.1 vv185) and preview
> simply fails with the following message (in the pdf preview window):
>
> TeX preview generation failed.  Please review the log below to
> determine the cause.
>
> But there is no log below.  The preview window is empty except for
> this one line.
>
> In the Text preview window the following message appears:
>
> ***** ERROR: unable to create preview *****

This should show the log message.  If you can send me a bib example
and a screenshot of your Preview prefs (off-list), I'll try to
reproduce the log display problem and get it fixed.

> I have checked the preview preferences, and the paths to pdflatex
> and bibtex are correct.  My tex installation (pretty much out of
> the box i-package) works fine with TeXShop.
>
> I also messed around with other bib styles, but that doesn't seem
> to change the behaviour.
>
> I'm stumped.

Make sure your Preview encoding and accented character conversion
prefs are set correctly.  If you're using Tiger, the actual TeX run
files are probably in a subdirectory of /var/tmp/folders.501/
TemporaryItems (look for the one with the most recent creation
date).  On Panther, I don't recall where the files end up, but it's
somewhere under /tmp or /var/tmp.

-- Adam