[OS X TeX] Bibdesk preview fails

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 27 22:47:30 EST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 8:29 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> Applications should clean those up when they quit; I didn't write
> that part of BibDesk's preview, so I'm not sure if it cleans up
> properly.

Howdy,

I don't remember if I've had stuff from BibDesk. The worst
``offender'' seems to be LaTeXiT which does all of its work in that
directory. I've also has some files left over from TeXShop; maybe
whose were there from a failed conversion of a tif to png during the
short time when ImageMagick had a problem---I don't remember. Also
things from a few other apps. I should start keeping track of what
apps leave stuff there.

>> Given that it's a temp directory why doesn't the OS just clean it
>> out (like other temp directories) when the system boots? Is this
>> an OS X 10.4.x bug?
>
> I believe this is an OS feature, although I don't recall the
> justification for it.  Perhaps to allow access to temporary files
> in case of a hard reset/power outage?  Stuff you put in /tmp does
> get blown away, but it's wrong for a Cocoa application to use /tmp
> directly instead of NSTemporaryDirectory().
>
> Adam

I guess I can see that as a reason but it is annoying to find that
trash when I login.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)