[OS X TeX] Bibdesk preview fails

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Jan 27 21:29:28 EST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 18:20, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2006, at 8:01 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>

>> Make sure your Preview encoding and accented character conversion
>> prefs are set correctly.  If you're using Tiger, the actual TeX
>> run files are probably in a subdirectory of /var/tmp/folders.501/
>> TemporaryItems (look for the one with the most recent creation
>> date).  On Panther, I don't recall where the files end up, but
>> it's somewhere under /tmp or /var/tmp.
>>
>> -- Adam
>>

> Howdy,
>
> As an aside... Whenever files are left in a subdirectory of /var/
> tmp/folder.UID/TemporaryItems I find them in the trash the next
> time I boot. Is a program supposed to clean up after itself in the
> directory?

Applications should clean those up when they quit; I didn't write
that part of BibDesk's preview, so I'm not sure if it cleans up
properly.

> Given that it's a temp directory why doesn't the OS just clean it
> out (like other temp directories) when the system boots? Is this an
> OS X 10.4.x bug?

I believe this is an OS feature, although I don't recall the
justification for it.  Perhaps to allow access to temporary files in
case of a hard reset/power outage?  Stuff you put in /tmp does get
blown away, but it's wrong for a Cocoa application to use /tmp
directly instead of NSTemporaryDirectory().

Adam