[OS X TeX] verbatim problems

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Fri Jul 7 13:44:25 EDT 2006

Two comments:

1.  I put the following set of aliases in my .cshrc (without the =)
but had a problem until I switched the order of quote -- that is, the
first one worked with todos 'perl -pe "s/$/\r/"'

> alias todos="perl -pe 's/$/\r/'"
> alias fromdos="tr -d '\r'"
> alias frommac="tr '\r' '\n'"
> alias tomac="tr '\n' '\r'"
>
> (sh-style aliases; remove the '=' for csh-style aliases).

What is the rule of ' vs. "?

2.  I just got a bposting about using editors to change the line endings
for a file and menioning reservations.  I have never had a problem using
bbedit lite in normal mac or nedit in x11 and then using an option under
"save as" to save in the desired OS format.  Excel insists on mac endings,
and so I have to convert my unix files with columns to mac endings to have
them work in excel, as an example.