[OS X TeX] Xindy?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Jul 9 06:35:59 EDT 2006

Am 09.07.2006 um 01:30 schrieb Maarten Sneep:

> _all_ I did was using the terminal to do the usual "./configure;
> make; make install" dance. I have the latest version of the
> developer tools installed (yes, the 930 MB disk image, or so). I
> did not specify anything to the configure stage. I am on a PPC
> machine.

Quite like mine -- I only have LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS regularly set
(sometimes CFLAGS also) that the many software packages find what
they depend on. The configure syntax can be troublesome (--with-
libfeature3-dir=<...>) -- and then some authors expect after the
equals sign exactly the place of that library, while others know that
libfeature3 is always in /<some starting components>/lib/feature3 so
they are satisfied with /<some starting components> -- and that's the
node where the C header (include) files can be found, too. Putting
these things into compiler flags avoids the troublesome configure
semantics (and syntax).

Your all-in-one package got troubled through these settings. Removing
them all, coming to your bare-bones set-up, made Xindy compile and
pass all tests over night in less than an hour, although some
"conftest" programmes crashed, configure failed a few times, and
readline was not found/is not used by Xindy. In the afternoon I'll
try some other variations.

This all-in-one package behaves much better than the RTE solo
package! Was it prepared for Mac OS X? Could be the bad Mac OS X
support comes from the fact that the developers do not have Macs and
are waiting for donations of some old hardware. And maybe there have
not been yet Mac OS X users.

There is one thing left: configure finds that only 7-bit file names
are supported! This might necessitate idx file names deviating from
the original TeX document's name ...

--
Greetings

   Pete