[OS X TeX] Xindy?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jul 10 04:21:34 EDT 2006

Am 10.07.2006 um 00:36 schrieb Maarten Sneep:

> As far as I know, xindy does not depend on external libraries,
> other than those that are there when the BSD subsystem is
> installed, although the xCode install may add some. The readline
> lib is extra for clisp, not important to xindy. All testing so far
> was done on machines without Fink, AFAIK.

This is what I can write, too. It would work to configure Xindy with
all *FLAGS set to "". My last tries where meant to make configure
find readline, but obviously it's not needed, could be only the
configure system looks up items like this.

The 7-bit conftest programme seems to be such a case: it uses ncurses
to determine whether it can use 7 or 8 bit file names. I did not
understand the whole C code in detail yet, will need another hour,
but it could be the restiction is based on the ncurses
implementation, a library to "draw" (or write and read) ASCII on
(from) a terminal. The restriction might be valid in such an
environment inside a CLISP system, but the actual library calls to
open files (for reading or writing) are taken from Mac OS X system
libraries and are Unicode enabled.

Someone needing Xindy could create a copy of the book in work and
name it to something with umlauts in it ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
                                                -- Rich Cook