[OS X TeX] Re: Xindy?

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Mon Jul 17 19:40:34 EDT 2006

Simon Spiegel wrote:

> I use jurabib's authorformat=indexed function which automatically
> creates index entries for all quoted authors. Typically, jurabib will
> produce something like this:
>
> \indexentry{Sobchack, Vivian~Carol=Sobchack, Vivian~Carol|hyperpage}{199}
>
> Problem 1: For some reason, jurabib doesn't use @ for "actual" but =.
> With makeindex this can easily be fixed with a style file. After lots of
> googling and consulting the LaTeX companion I'm still not sure whether
> this can be achieved with xindy.

Sorry, but this is not supported by the xindy distribution. I have a patch that
adds this, but this patch has not been incorporated yet.

> Problem 2 (and the reason I tried xindy): I have this bibtex entry
>
> @incollection{sklovskij.v:1969a,
>     Address = {M{\"u}nchen},
>     Author = {{\v S}klovskij, Viktor},
>     Booktitle = {Texte der Russsischen Formalisten},
>     Editor = {Jurij Striedter},
>     Year = {1969}}
>
> When I quote this, jurabib creates this index entry:
>
> \indexentry{{\v S}klovskij, Viktor={\v S}klovskij, Viktor|hyperpage}{195}
>
> This entry, isn't sorted under s by makeindex, but right at the
> beginning, even before numerals. I thought that xindy could handle this.
> But so far, I've been unable to achieve any better results.
>
> texindy -L german-duden testindex.idx and texindy -L german-din
> testindex.idx behave exactly like makeindex, putting the entry at the
> beginning.

The heuristic that tries to find out the encoding that is used during sorting
fails here and mixes up latin1 and latin2. (latin1 is the default encoding used
internally, `\v S' does not exist in latin1 and is pulled from latin2.) This
leads to the wrong sorting of `\v S'. When

texindy -L german-din -C latin1 testindex.idx

is used, the sorting succeeds: Here `\v S' is forced to be unknown and the macro
\v is simply ignored.

Cheers,
	Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org