[OS X TeX] Standard preamble

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 12:18:03 EDT 2006

Chris Goedde wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> As I am working on the "magnum opus", because my knowledge of LaTeX
>> is extremely limited, I keep modifying the preamble. But because the
>> magnum opus is made of more and more files, I am having an
>> increasingly terrible time keeping all the preambles the same.
>>
>> Is there a way each file could have a minimum preamble, say with just
>> a command to use the stuff in a "central" file which would then be
>> the only file I would modify?
>>

> An alternative to the previous suggestions is to put your preamble in
> a style file (i.e. mypreamble.sty) and then include it via the
> \usepackage{} command (i.e. \usepackage{mypreamble}). I think that
> this is much cleaner than using \input or \include. You can stick the
> style file in a place where TeX will find it (mine is in
> ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex) and then you can use it for anything you TeX.

It does indeed look cleaner and I certainly would not have thought of
/that/.

> (Note, you might have to make some slight changes in your preamble if
> you make it a style file and you used some tricky TeX. By default, @
> is treated differently in a style file than in a plain TeX file.)

The trouble is that I may indeed be using some "Tricky TeX" without even
knowing it since I did not understand all of the suggestions from this
list that I used with a lot of success.

To atone, though, I shall try, with my eyes closed and my fingers
crossed. Tightly.

Best regards
--schremmer