[OS X TeX] Standard preamble

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 12:40:55 EDT 2006

Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Chris Goedde wrote:
>
>> On Jul 18, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>
>>> As I am working on the "magnum opus", because my knowledge of LaTeX
>>> is extremely limited, I keep modifying the preamble. But because the
>>> magnum opus is made of more and more files, I am having an
>>> increasingly terrible time keeping all the preambles the same.
>>>
>>> Is there a way each file could have a minimum preamble, say with
>>> just a command to use the stuff in a "central" file which would then
>>> be the only file I would modify?
>>>

>> An alternative to the previous suggestions is to put your preamble in
>> a style file (i.e. mypreamble.sty) and then include it via the
>> \usepackage{} command (i.e. \usepackage{mypreamble}). I think that
>> this is much cleaner than using \input or \include. You can stick the
>> style file in a place where TeX will find it (mine is in
>> ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex) and then you can use it for anything you TeX.
>

> It does indeed look cleaner and I certainly would not have thought of
> /that/.
>
>> (Note, you might have to make some slight changes in your preamble if
>> you make it a style file and you used some tricky TeX. By default, @
>> is treated differently in a style file than in a plain TeX file.)
>

> The trouble is that I may indeed be using some "Tricky TeX" without
> even knowing it since I did not understand all of the suggestions from
> this list that I used with a lot of success.
>
> To atone, though, I shall try, with my eyes closed and my fingers
> crossed. Tightly.

I tried on one part of the Magnum Opus.
After I uncrossed my fingers and opened my eyes, the output was there.

Voisin is definitely wrong: I definitely wouldn't even dream of trying
to write a custom class. However, I am grateful for the high, if
unwarranted opinion he has of my LaTeX capabilities.

So, at least for the time being, style sheet is the way I will do it.

Very grateful regards to all.
--schremmer