[OS X TeX] Installing non-Mac Tex System

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Thu Jul 20 14:52:33 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 09:55:14AM -0700, Rick Hogg wrote:
> Hello,
> I just installed Xubuntu Linux on an old iMac, and
> felt the need to install TexLive, but I can't quite
> figure out how to get it working.  I know it's not a
> Mac-related issue, but I don't know what usergroup to
> use, and since I'm already a member of this
> list, and since I'm sure some of you have done this on
> Linux, well...ta-da!
>
> Basically, I have this huge TexLive directory
> installed in /usr/local/texlive, but I can't seem to
> find any executables.  I followed the directions (sh
> install-tl.sh), and even opting to install symlinks
> into "standard" directories, well, it doesn't.  In
> fact, the path it wants me to add to my .profile
> doesn't exist.
>
> The docs say that the path to the executables is
> /usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/archname, however there is
> no /bin/ directory in 2005/.  I can't find an
> executable anywhere in the entire texlive directory.
> The contents of my 2005 directory are:
> texmf, texmf-dist, texmf-doc, texmf-var, xemtex.
>
> Any help, or a Unix Tex mailing list I could subscribe
> to would be great!
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

There are no precompiled binaries for Linux on powerpc. You could
try to compile the sources; there is a tar in the texlive/source
directory. After unpacking, make sure to read the README.

For my old Pismo powerbook I had under Linux the dvd image mounted
and my TeX installation consisted mainly of hand-compiled binaries
and symlinks into the dvd image.

A simpler option is just to install the TeX packages from Ubuntu.

--
Siep Kroonenberg