[OS X TeX] crashing

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at iwu.edu
Fri Jul 21 13:46:21 EDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 12:15 PM, George Gratzer wrote:

> I am spending my days carrying out the corrections sent by the
> volunteers. I have the corrections open in Adobe Acrobat 7.0
> Professional, which stay open for several days.
>
> During the same time TeXShop crashes maybe a dozen times. Since I
> typeset after each correction, and TeXShop is smart enough to save
> before typesetting (thanks god), I never loose any data.
>
> Nevertheless, I am curious. Am I the only one observing this
> behaviour? Why I some applications crash proof, other not?

I am not experiencing the same behavior as you are exactly, but I can
comment on a similar behavior. I am using TextMate, and there you
have a choice of what program to use to view the pdf file. One of the
options is to open it in the built in webview window, which
essentially replicates the behavior you would have seen opening in
Safari. So the default handler for pdf files from within Safari would
be the one handling this.

Now, what does this have to do with Adobe? I only use Adobe Reader,
but I am guessing the behavior wouldn't be that different. Adobe
Reader thinks it is such an important program, that it has the right
to highjack this choice of yours for the preferred pdf reader from
browser links, and set itself to be that reader (instead for the
Schubert PDF plugin for instance). The only way to override this
choice is in one of the Reader's chaotic preference menus. However,
Reader is quick to override your choice even there. The net effect of
this is that Reader is being called in that little webview in
TextMate, and for some reason that I don't know exactly this causes
TextMate to crash.

Hope this helps, even though it is not exactly what you are seeing.

> GG

Haris