[OS X TeX] 10.4.7, dvipdf, Preview, and mangled math

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jul 24 04:09:01 EDT 2006

Am 24.07.2006 um 07:42 schrieb overdog.ldn at gmail.com:

> My TeX installation is teTeX via fink, which must have been updated
> last around the time of the original 10.4 release, probably
> compiled from source. I recently upgraded to 10.4.7, but have no
> idea whether that's to blame for a problem I recently started
> experiencing, although, as far as I know it always worked OK under
> 10.4.6 and never under 10.4.7.

You can always rebuild.

	fink selfupdate
	fink update-all
	fink rebuild <those packages you really need, i.e. teTeX and
Ghostscript>

> The particular problem is that many of my math expressions appear
> mangled in Preview, with several glyphs missing, or replaced by
> square boxes with either various shades or weird phonetic
> characters in them. I'm not doing very much special beyond
> straightahead math typesetting. The problem seems to be largely
> confined to non-numeric super-/subscripts. I don't see this problem
> in Acrobat reader, but my document is quite long (>100 pages) and I
> can't currently say whether other weirdness is resulting.

There could be a problem with encodings, but then some excerpt from
the TeX source and its LOG file, particularly dvips referring, are
needed. You could add as first of these statements

	\usepackage{cmap}

to tell Unicode viewers that the irregular TeX characters often
correspond to regular Unicode characters.

> I build pdfs from a dvi output by LaTeX using dvi2pdf. I have also
> tried generating postscript from the dvi using dvips, and using
> Apple's pstopdf, but the problem I describe below persists. As far
> as I know, I am only using built-in default LaTeX fonts. I haven't
> tried anything fancy like using Mac fonts or anything like that.

You could try to use pdfTeX to see what's produced directly!

--
Greetings

   Pete

»¿ʇı̣ əsnqɐ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ ɟı̣