[OS X TeX] OT: log from Acrobat 7.0

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Mon Jul 24 12:50:12 EDT 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 11:01 AM, George Gratzer wrote:

> Actually, it is 7.08.
>
> Why is there so much hostility to Adobe? I consider Illustrator the
> best software I have ever used, except for Photoshop. Az an
> academic, I buy them really cheaply, and they provide the best user
> interface I have ever seen.
>
> GG

Let me count the ways...

1. Takes 30s or more to load Illustrator or Acrobat on 1.5 MHz
powerbook. I don't think I have any other application on my hard disk
that is so excruciatingly slow to launch.

2. Takes almost as much time to quit

3. Half of the time Illustrator loads with fewer toolbars open than
in last run.

4. Every time Acrobat is updated, it forces itself as the default pdf
plugin and adds  two icons in word/excel that waste a whole strip of
screen (this predatory behavior offends me the most). To undo this
you have to launch Acrobat -and enjoy 30 s of watching your computer
in a near freeze state.

5. To save a file in illustrator it takes you through an extra screen
of interrogations to which I always give the same answers.

6. The type tool doesn't always select the type correctly. Often
times it's impossible to select blank spaces in type.

7. Hitting print opens (after 10s or more) a window that does not
resemble anything I am familiar with in OS. Often times I exit this
window thinking I have printed only to realize I hit the wrong button
("done" instead of "print").

Having said this, I use Illustrator a lot, I just dread the moment
when I have to double-click on it.

Themis