[OS X TeX] Re: 10.4.7, dvipdf, Preview, and mangled math

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Tue Jul 25 09:23:07 EDT 2006

> Hello list,
>
> I should withdraw my question, below. I have just done what I said I
> didn't want to do --- install another teTeX package (Gerben Wierda's
> package, in this case) --- and the problem seems to have gone away
> after a cursory glance. Along the way I have also rebooted my
> computer (I don't often do that).
>
> Interestingly, the build of my document now seems to work properly no
> matter which package I use (the fink package or the newly installed
> one).
>
> Perhaps it was something that sorted itself out on rebooting, but I
> rather wish I had tried that a couple of days ago. Perhaps Preview
> relies on something that's loaded at boot-time and became corrupted?
> Scary. I tried quitting and re-starting Preview a number of times
> before embarking on this latest attempt to fix things.
>
> Anyway it seems like one way or another I will be able to get a
> useable PDF out of at least one, and probably both, of my latex
> installs.
>
> Many thanks to the very kind people who offered assistance both on-
> and off-list.

Sorry to come in late on this one (I'm on digest), but for the sake
of other people who might come to experience the same symptoms, I
have to say that the
most likely reason your problem has been solved was just rebooting
your mac.

I have experienced - two or three times in the past year or so -
similar symptoms, which, by the way, happened simultaneously in
Preview and in TeXShop, but not in Adobe Reader.
Note that both use the same pdf frameworks from Apple, whereas Reader
does not.
Definitely seemed like something in Apple's pdf engine had gone
haywire, and rebooting took care of it every time.

Luis Sequeira