[OS X TeX] Font issues [was: dvips problem] - resolved
stephen.anderson at yale.edu
Thu Jun 8 04:26:19 EDT 2006
With much gratitude for the willingness of this list's contributors
to persist in trying to help me solve my font problem, I can report
that it is now resolved.
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 at 22:49:43 +0200, Bruno Voisin wrote:
[a great many detailed suggestions about how to look for the root of
the problem. I can say that nearly all of the things he suggested
turned up perfectly well-formed answers: yes, the maps in /usr/local/
all of the necessaryl lines referring to Garamond. Yes, the encoding
name, though strange, is what is referenced in the enc files. Yes,
the files are all in the right places -- though I'll spare you the
output that establishes that. And yes, /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg says the right thing about my maps. And
finally, I don't have a directory ~/Library/texmf/web2c -- although
this has been recreated for me a couple of times during my efforts to
solve the problem, that didn't happen the last time. But the key, as
Bruno's intuition told him, was:]
> Could you look inside ~/Library/texmf/ to see whether similar files
> psfonts.map etc. are present there?
> Without such indications, it's really difficult to help. I still tend
> to think for now this is a problem of per-user vs. per-computer
> setup, and the use of updmap with or without -H and with or without
I had carefully gone through ~/Library/texmf to remove all such map
files, and so I thought this couldn't be the issue. But following up
on other advice:
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 at 13:47:34 -0700 (PDT), mark oilcan wrote:
> So, are you sure that
> there's nothing in your personal tree that's messing things up? To
> this be sure to move ~/Library/texmf to something else, e.g.
> ~/Library/texmf.old. I assume you've done this to no avail.
A rash assumption, unfortunately. So I tried moving my whole local
tree out of the way (putting copies of the necessary local style
files into the directory of the file I was trying to typeset),
and .... lo and behold, everything worked. So then I tried
rebuilding my local tree piece by piece, and everything continued to
work until I got to the directory fonts/map. Well, that ought to be
empty, since I got rid of that stuff before ... but it wasn't, and
restoring it to its original location in ~/Library/texmf caused the
problem to re-appear. So had I just forgotten to remove those maps
after all? No, it turns out that the last time I re-i-installed tex
from scratch, they were helpfully re-created for me:
Edgerton:~/Library/old.texmf/fonts sra$ ls -l map/*/*
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sra 17 Jun 7 18:05 dvipdfm.map ->
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sra 115102 Jun 7 18:05 dvipdfm_dl14.map
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sra 115683 Jun 7 18:05 dvipdfm_ndl14.map
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sra 8353 Jun 7 18:04 builtin35.map
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sra 12250 Jun 7 18:04 download35.map
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sra 287718 Jun 7 18:04 ps2pk.map
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sra 14 Jun 7 18:05 psfonts.map ->
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sra 78825 Jun 7 18:04 psfonts_pk.map
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sra 283827 Jun 7 18:04 psfonts_t1.map
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sra 16 Jun 7 18:05 pdftex.map ->
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sra 287725 Jun 7 18:04 pdftex_dl14.map
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sra 286256 Jun 7 18:04 pdftex_ndl14.map
I do not know why this happened -- presumably it is connected with
the fact that when I did this installation, I got a message at one
point to the effect that i-installer had detected a private
installation in my account, and that that might screw something up.
The message didn't say what it had detected, though, and I couldn't
find any other clues in the various outputs i-installer provides.
And I also don't know what to look for to make sure it doesn't happen
again, but for now, things work, as long as I leave the fonts in /usr/
local/teTeX/share/texmf.local instead of in my own texmf directory.
It would be very nice if i-installer provided a clearer indication of
just what it had found in such a case, but perhaps that would be too
difficult to implement in a general way.
I'm sorry to waste so many more electrons on this, because in the
end, it seems that something I did (though I'm still not sure what)
was the root of my problem. Then again, everything did work fine
until the latest update....
Anyway, I would once again like to express my gratitude to what has
to be the most supportive community to be found on the net.
------------------------- Info --------------------------
Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
& FAQ: http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
More information about the MacOSX-TeX