[OS X TeX] Font issues [was: dvips problem] - resolved

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 8 05:23:58 EDT 2006

Le 8 juin 06 à 10:26, Stephen Anderson a écrit :

> I had carefully gone through ~/Library/texmf to remove all such map
> files, and so I thought this couldn't be the issue.

I knew there was more detailed information on this somewhere in the
list archive, but was hoping somebody else would post it again or
recreate it. Here it is anyway, after some time spent searching.

First a message telling all the config files that can be generated by
updmap and friends in ~/Library/texmf, which may or may not be bad
depending on whether the user explicitly requested this:

> De : Gerben Wierda
> Date : 2 novembre 2005 22:18:58 HNEC
> À : TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List
> Objet : Rép : [OS X TeX] Re: Format file error
>
> The ones that could have been created during the i-Package trials are
>
> 	~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_pk.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.log
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.fmt
>
> The last line you have to be careful with in case you created your
> own unique formats and dumped them there, as they also end in .fmt.
> You should remove only those that already exist in /usr/local/teTeX/
> share/texmf.local/web2c

And another message from the same thread:

> De : Gerben Wierda
> Date : 2 novembre 2005 09:51:08 HNEC
> À : TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List
> Objet : Rép : [OS X TeX] Re: Format file error
>
>> Thanks for your suggestion to remove the web2c directory from /
>> Library/texmf -- this fixed the problem.
>
> You might have more directories there that were created during the
> experimental phase. updmap configuration, tex language.dat files.
> Harmless
> for the i-Package (which now ignores ~/Library/texmf) but it is a good
> idea to clean up anyway.
>
> If you have not installed anything by hand yourself in ~/Library/
> texmf,
> you can just remove everything from inside ~/Library/texmf

And finally an earlier message on what the -H option and -sys suffix
do, when running "sudo -H updmap-sys" (see the warning just after the
message):

> De : Gerben Wierda
> Date : 14 octobre 2005 17:57:16 HAEC
> À : TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List
> Objet : Rép : [OS X TeX] right place for a .map line
>
> On Oct 14, 2005, at 17:00, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> OK, let me see if I understand this since I really do want to get
>> it right and, as I said before, my head is spinning with all this
>> new stuff.
>>
>> So I should take everything that I currently have in:
>>
>> ~/Library/texmf/
>>
>> and put it in:
>>
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/
>>
>> Is that correct? Or, does this just apply to fonts and font-
>> related files? If I do this and I re-install TeX, what happens?
>> Does everything in there disappear? The nice thing about:
>>
>> ~/Library/texmf/
>>
>> is that it is in *my* home directory and *I* control it.
>>
>> Please advise so that my head stops spinning. My neck is starting
>> to hurt. :-)
>
> First, all of your sty files and such work fine when you leave them
> in ~/Library/texmf, They only work for you and no other user on
> your system. But that has not changed. TeX reads input like it used
> to do. This change is only about configuring TeX.
>
> Old: updmap (read: updmap, fmtutil or texconfig) wrote in the
> texmf.local directory but did look also in the ~/Library/texmf
> directory for input.
>
> New: updmap-sys behaves like updmap used to.
> New: updmap reads like updmap used to but writes in ~/Library/
> texmf. Hence, when you change your paper size with texconfig only
> you get the new paper size (formats with new sets of hyphenation
> patterns, map files for dvips, etc)
>
> New: the TeX i-Package configures as user root using updmap-sys.
> Hence it does read ~root/Library/texmf (which hopefully does not
> exist) and it writes in texmf.local. This makes configuring with
> the TeX i-package independent from which user performs is.
>
> If you want the old behaviour, the command line is your friend:
> Instead of the old "sudo updmap" you now say "sudo updmap-sys" and
> that is it.
>
> The TeX i-Packages now say "sudo -H -u root updmap-sys" to get the
> independence of which user performs the configuration. That means
> that if you have done personal command line stuff and you rerun TeX
> i-Package configuration, your personal stuff is not found.
>
> If you want personal stuff and personal results, the clean way is
> to use updmap instead of updmap-sys without sudo. Your ~/Library/
> texmf will be used for input *and* output. So you get .fmt files
> there, the dvips and PDFTeX map files etc.
>
> It is now either pure system (input and output) or pure personal
> (input and output). It used to be output system with input also
> based on personal.

However, I'm not sure the information in this latter message is still
current: it may date back to the (short) time when the TeX i-Package
has attempted to deal with both per-user and per-computer setups,
before deciding this was too much of a hassle and it would only deal
with per-computer setups. Gerben, in case you're listening, could you
please confirm whether this info is still current?

I must admit I am still confused on the issue. I have some files
inside ~/Library/texmf, but these are all TeX input files
(.tex, .sty, .fd, etc.). All font-related files on my setup
(.map, .tfm, .vf, .pfb, etc.) live in /Library/teTeX/share/
texmf.local, and I manipulate them through "sudo -H updmap-sys". If
they were instead inside ~/Library/texmf, I must admit I don't feel
sure of what should be used: "sudo updmap-sys", or "sudo updmap", or
"sudo -H updmap", or "updmap-sys", or "updmap". I thought I knew, but
Peter Dyballa's messages on this have shattered my confidence on the
issue.

Hope this helps,