[OS X TeX] foo and foo-sys

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jun 15 15:53:12 EDT 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2006, at 15:17, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> And updmap vs updmap-sys bites again! :-), :-(!
>
> The day I decided to support this broken idea was not my brightest.
> The funny thing is that for a while before that I had fixed
> texmf.cnf to make sure both system-wide and personal would point to
> temf.local so old instructions would still work. This in fact makes
> foo-sys and foo identical and they then act like foo of before the
> introduction of foo-sys (or foo-sys of after the introduction, "als
> je begrijpt wat ik bedoel").
>
> That cat is out of the bag now for over a year and the problems
> seem to stay and not become less. So, I am wondering if I could not
> better return to the old way of doing it and have a 'enable
> personal configurations' option in Expert mode.

Well, the poor choice of naming is what really caused the problem and
that wasn't your doing. It would have been preferable to have foo do
what foo-sys now does and then have foo-per for setting things in the
personal texmf tree. Then the vast majority of problems wouldn't have
occurred and those that needed it could learn about it.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)