[OS X TeX] foo and foo-sys

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jun 16 06:14:31 EDT 2006

Am 15.06.2006 um 21:36 schrieb Gerben Wierda:

> That cat is out of the bag now for over a year and the problems
> seem to stay and not become less. So, I am wondering if I could not
> better return to the old way of doing it and have a 'enable
> personal configurations' option in Expert mode.

Since the next TeX i-Packages will deviate from dead teTeX it's
probably a good idea to make live easy on a Mac again – but, what's
left is TeXLive, and TeXLive uses the foo and foo-sys utilities, too ...

If you were going to deviate from this, for some time (years) you
will need to provide a 'repro' tool that makes the user the owner of
the files in ~/Library/texmf/web2c again! 'sudo foo' or 'sudo -H foo'
surely was used by many, and then more often than just once.

Somehow these utilities will need to understand that they either work
on a personal setup or an a system-wide – will this be done via a '-
sys' switch on the command line?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs"