[OS X TeX] accidental text clips in TeXShop source files

Melissa Krueger krueger at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 23 16:50:14 EDT 2006

On Jun 22, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Jim Delany wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm a newbie on this list, a regular user of TeXShop and LaTeX, but
> definitely not a power user. My problem is pretty mundane.
>
> I have some difficulty using a mouse due to a genetic problem known
> as essential tremor. Sudden hand twitches are fairly frequent. When
> editing a source file in TeXShop this sometimes creates a text
> clipping, piece of text in limbo which is likely to end up
> anywhere. My work-around is to drop the clipping on the desktop out
> of harm's way.
>
> This only seems to happen in TeXShop, so I suspect it is a feature
> of that program, but maybe it is part of OS X.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to turn this feature off?  I've checked the
> Help files, as well as these archives, but I may have overlooked
> the answer.
>
> Thanks
> Jim

The text clipping is a part of the OS. One way to get rid of the text
clip once you've grabbed it is to hit the escape key. You should see
the text flying back from whence it came.

I found this hint that may help you. There are command line methods
for changing the text drag-and-drop delay time as well as disabling
it entirely:

	<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051121074003638>

You should probably read the hint in its entirety. I was able to
essentially disable text clipping in TeXShop issuing the following
command in Terminal and restarting TeXShop:

	defaults write TeXShop NSDragAndDropTextDelay -int 3000

Good luck,
Melissa