[OS X TeX] ! LaTeX Error: File `pdfsync.sty' {and topcapt.sty] not found

Winfried Zettelmeyer Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com
Sat Mar 4 14:43:49 EST 2006

Greetings to all,
to my surprise after weeks of increasingly successful work with
TeXshop the program suddenly claims it cannot find pdfsync.sty,
although it does sit in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/ . It is possible
that I messed something up, but even after substituting the texmf
folder by the original texmf folder to my Library as prescribed in
the IMPORTANT_README.rtf of the Texshop.dmg, the program keeps
complaining.

All the other packages of the preamble (see below) are being loaded
without problem as they apparently sit in the hidden "usr" folder.
TeXshop preferences Engine and Typesetting are set to the default
values.
Why does the program not find what it found before, what can I do ?

I have added the introductory lines of the log file.
Extremely grateful for advice !
Winfried

\documentclass[10pt,a4paper,titlepage,oneside,openany]{report}
\usepackage{geometry} % see geometry.pdf on how to lay out the page.
There's lots.
\usepackage{pdfsync} % to relate .tex file with .pdf file      THIS
IS NOT FOUND
\usepackage{graphicx} % to include figures
\usepackage{topcapt} %to allow table titles on top             THIS
IS NOT FOUND
\usepackage{ulem} %  "underline emphasis" to break long underlined text
\usepackage{longtable} % to allow tables that are longer than one page
\usepackage{ifthen}
\usepackage{eurosym}% prints the Euro symbol
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}% allows accented letters
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} % dito
\usepackage{textcomp} % dito
\usepackage{lmodern} % dito
\usepackage{lineno}% allows line numbering in output file
\usepackage[english,frenchb]{babel}
\selectlanguage{english}

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
\write18 enabled.
output format initialized to PDF
entering extended mode
(./TMFReportLaTeX.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, d
utch, italian, norsk, portuges, spanish, swedish, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/report.cls
Document Class: report 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.sty