[OS X TeX] Re: [Sort-of Off]: Plotting Software

Louis Talman talmanl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 01:08:28 EST 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:41 PM, Bill Rowe wrote:

> On 3/7/06 at 12:01 AM, dac at panix.com (david craig) wrote:
>
>> What do folks recommend for plotting/fitting software?
>
> For myself, I use Mathematica. If all you want is to plot the data
> in a nice way, then Mathematica is a rather expensive solution. But
> since I generally want to do a lot more than just plot the data for
> presentation, I think Mathematica is a very useful tool and has
> adequate plotting capability.

Of course.

> My typical workflow is to analyze and plot the data in Mathematica.
> Export the plots from Mathematica in EPS format. Convert the EPS
> format to PDF. Write the final report in LaTeX incorporating the
> plots created in Mathematica to share with others not using
> Mathematica.

Mine includes an alternate branch of creating an animation, exporting
it as a collection of serially named GIFs, and using GraphicConverter
to make a free-standing video that can be viewed on either Mac or
Windoze platforms.

--Lou Talman
   Metropolitan State College of Denver

   <http://clem.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>