[OS X TeX] Re: Paper Format

Roberto Avanzi roberto.avanzi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 13:36:59 EST 2006

 >On Mar 11, 2006, at 03:43, Roberto Avanzi wrote:
 > > However, typesetting with
 > >  \documentclass[12pt,letterpaper]{llncs}
 > > at the beginning of the LaTeX source file, the size of the pages in
 > > the ps file generated by dvips is still a4 (I guess that's the
 > > format used by dvipdf too) hence I get weird displacements of the
 > > pages when printing doubly sided.  Is there a way to quickly change
 > > paper size for DVIPS without having to reconfigure the packages?
 >
 > dvips -t letter

Of course I can use this option, which means going to the Terminal
(that I use a lot, but for other purposes).
In fact I was looking for a semiautomated configuration of my TeX
installation that did not involve going to the i-installer each time
(yes, I am lazy).  And one that for me involves adapting the
configuration to the environment where I am, just once, and then
TeXing away happily after that without bothering again.

What I finally did was to create two terminal scripts, one
called  "use letter paper.command" and containing the following lines

    #!/bin/sh

    texconfig dvips paper letter
    texconfig pdftex paper letter
    texconfig dvipdfm paper letter

(I could have added a similar line for xdvi if I used it).
and another one called "use a4 paper.command" with letter replaced by
a4.
I just have to double click on them and they do all the cumbersome work
for me.  Then I can recompile or just
reclick on the dvi file, and TeXshop will recread the ps and pdf for me.

Roberto