[OS X TeX] Timing problem resolved

George Gratzer gratzer at ms.umanitoba.ca
Tue Mar 14 13:44:34 EST 2006

I reported to Dick Koch the timing problem I have with TeXShop, with
TeXShop being very slow with the article I am writing. I sent him the
article.

Here is Dick's explanation:

-------------------------
In the source code you sent, each illustration is listed as
"filename.eps".

The correct syntax, however, is to list the graphic file WITHOUT
the .eps extension. If you do that, then the graphics package will
automatically look for .jpg and .pdf files in pdflatex, and will look
for .eps files in latex.
-------------------------

He is right, removing all the .eps extensions, the typesetting is
very fast.

A problem remains. How do we put the .eps extensions back when
submitting the paper for publication?

Here is what I now do:

1. I delete all graphics file extensions.

2. I add the command

\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.pdf}

and it will be very, very fast.

3. First time I include new graphics, I use the extension .eps; after
the first typesettting, I delete it.

4. When submitting for publication, I edit  the
\DeclareGraphicsExtensions command:

\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps}

That is all.

GG