[OS X TeX] Timing problem resolved

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Mar 14 16:58:02 EST 2006

Le 14 mars 06 à 19:44, George Gratzer a écrit :

> Here is Dick's explanation:
>
> -------------------------
> In the source code you sent, each illustration is listed as
> "filename.eps".
>
> The correct syntax, however, is to list the graphic file WITHOUT
> the .eps extension. If you do that, then the graphics package will
> automatically look for .jpg and .pdf files in pdflatex, and will
> look for .eps files in latex.
> -------------------------
>
> He is right, removing all the .eps extensions, the typesetting is
> very fast.
>
> A problem remains. How do we put the .eps extensions back when
> submitting the paper for publication?

I may have misunderstood, but why are you willing to do this? I mean,
given you have .jpg and .pdf versions of your graphics, why do you
plan to go back to .eps (= slower and bulkier)? Publisher's request?

Similarly, why is it so much slower with .eps files? Are you
requesting on-the-fly conversion of .eps graphics by using the
epstopdf package and working with pdfLaTeX and .eps files together?

As to me, here's what I'm using for example in a file I've written
(given I prefer to work with PDF files, while the publisher's
workflow requests EPS files):

\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.jpg,.pdf}  % for pdfTeX
%\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps}  % for TeX + dvips + GhostScript

The PDF files were all produced in one go, using the command line and
either:

apply epstopdf *.eps

(meaning use of teTeX's distiller) or:

apply pstopdf *.eps

(meaning use of Apple's distiller) inside a folder containing all the
EPS files.

Bruno Voisin