[OS X TeX] Failures while playing around with Unicode

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Mar 29 06:59:54 EST 2006

Le 29 mars 06 à 13:36, Niels Kobschaetzki a écrit :

> Right now I'm downloading MacTex with XeTex and I hope that this
> will solve
> the whole problem...

Yes, I forgot to mention XeTeX in my previous message, but it might
make life much easier for you (regarding especially bidirectional
typesetting and vertical typesetting as well) <http://scripts.sil.org/
xetex>. Beware this might imply, for now, restrictions on the use of
some dvips- or pdfTeX-specific packages like beamer or pstricks;
there are also some issues regarding the use of some languages in the
babel package with XeTeX. Workarounds are regularly posted on the
XeTeX mailing list <http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/xetex>.

Regarding your problem: I did not explain much regarding regarding my
recommendation:

	sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map cyberbit.map

but there are two separate issues:

- Never edit pdftex.cfg or updmap.cfg manually, have updmap do it for
you instead.

- A (backwards-incompatible) change of syntax of updmap between the
current TeXLive2005 version and the TeXLive2004 version referenced in
the online instructions means you must replace "sudo updmap" by "sudo
-H updmap-sys". This is associated with a per-user vs. per-computer
setup mess. In case you have had configuration files or formats
created inside your personal texmf tree ~/Library/texmf/ by previous
use of updmap, delete them first.

Bruno Voisin