[OS X TeX] White vs. Transparent?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Mar 29 08:40:03 EST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 10:45 PM, V. Yu. Shavrukov wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2006, at 14:14, William Adams wrote:
>
>>> I meant sRGB vs AdobeRGB vs ProPhotoRGB etc.  rather than  cmyk vs
>>> rgb vs hsv...
>>
>> Oh. Well presumably you'll only be needing one such tag for the
>> vector and text elements which TeX will create --- just post-process
>> the file to assign such a colourspace tag --- this could be set up
>> using OS X's pdf Services.
>
> Thanks.  Are you saying one can assign a profile to the whole pdf
> that will apply to all elements that don't already have a profile
> (spot colour tag etc.) of their own?

Yes.

>>> I'd be curious to learn of a situtation
>>> where you needed more than one and this wouldn't be an option
>>> though.
>
> Using something like pgf one can continuously vary the colour of an
> element (which could be a glyph, a paragraph etc.).  This would
> require more than one spot colour but as far as I can see a single
> profile would be sufficient.

You don't need more than one spot colour to do this, if the colour
change is a tint.

If you do need multiple spot colours you need to consult with your
printer over this and screen angles &c.

Even so, you're not likely to have more than 2 or 3 spot colours in a
given job, so it should be manageable (the largest number of spot
colours in a job I'm aware of is Edward Tufte's _The Visual Display
of Quantitative Information_ which has 23 (over the entire book --- I
think there're fewer than 4 spot colours per signature).

Or do you mean something other than a specific printer ink colour
when you say spot colour?

>>> William Adams:

> Do I look for that technique in TUGBoat 2003?

Yes, it's in the issue after the Proceedings issue.

http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb24-2/tb77adams.pdf

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.