[OS X TeX] gtamacfonts ligatures: PDF searchability

Adam Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 29 22:17:51 EST 2006

On Mar 29, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

>> Maarten Sneep wrote:
>>
>>> The copyright owner has all rights to a work, and can set the
>>> standards.
>>
>> Not exactly: there is no "copyright law", by divine right or
>> otherwise. There are the "copyright laws" that some people get
>> passed but that others don't or can't. If you wrote a verse or
>> two, or took a picture, or devised an algorithm, you can get it
>> protected for the next century or two—by copyright or patent law.
>> You can even patent somebody else's cells. (See Scientific
>> American for details.) If you prove a theorem …. tough luck. Or
>> maybe the AMS is going to use its muscle …
>
> please, don't. OTOH, if you write that theorem down, the article in
> which you do so is protected by the copyright laws.

There is a case of something like this happening, although it is not
the AMS or a scholarly society, but a publishing company. There is a
test of psychological functioning called the ``mini mental'' exam,
which was published some time ago in a psychiatry journal, which was
subsequently bought by Elsevier, which has now begun requiring that
people get licenses to print copies of the exam. Well, I don't know
if you have to license it if you are going to, say, make a slide of
it and show it in a class. You ought to if you are going to make
copies of it to give to med students or residents, though. This test
is widely used by social workers making home visits to the elderly,
for instance. So I guess the social workers ought to be paying for
their copy of the test too.

You can read about this case in a bit more detail at http://
ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/162/3/627-a.

As far as I can tell, this link takes you to an open-access journal,
so you can make a copy of this article for yourself if you like . . .

-Adam

-----
Adam Goldstein
Department of Philosophy