[OS X TeX] gtamacfonts ligatures: PDF searchability

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Mar 30 00:19:56 EST 2006

Le 30 mars 06 à 05:17, Adam Goldstein a écrit :

> There is a case of something like this happening, although it is
> not the AMS or a scholarly society, but a publishing company. There
> is a test of psychological functioning called the ``mini mental''
> exam, which was published some time ago in a psychiatry journal,
> which was subsequently bought by Elsevier, which has now begun
> requiring that people get licenses to print copies of the exam.
> Well, I don't know if you have to license it if you are going to,
> say, make a slide of it and show it in a class. You ought to if you
> are going to make copies of it to give to med students or
> residents, though. This test is widely used by social workers
> making home visits to the elderly, for instance. So I guess the
> social workers ought to be paying for their copy of the test too.

These are such absurdities that led to the Berlin Declaration <http://
www.zim.mpg.de/openaccess-berlin/berlindeclaration.html>.

For example, now in France my employer the CNRS (National Centre for
Scientific Research) is encouraging explicitly to publish scientific
writings directly in the open-access archive HAL <http://
hal.ccsd.cnrs.fr/index.php?langue=en>, modelled after the US arXiv,
before or instead of publication in standard scientific journals.
What worries me though is the lack of peer review in this case: peer
review is painful at times (I am precisely revising this week a paper
into which I had already put several months of efforts), but always
beneficial to quality at the end of the day.

Bruno Voisin