[OS X TeX] recent update with I-installer and strange error

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Sat May 6 18:28:49 EDT 2006

Le 6 mai 06 à 21:28, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 06.05.2006 um 17:12 schrieb Alain Matthes:
>
>> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> Why are you using utf8 from the ucs package? The recommended use is
> AFAIR utf8x if actually necessary ...

i use : (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/base/utf8.def
File: utf8.def 2005/09/27 v1.1g UTF-8 support for inputenc

I don't use ucs and in the G Wierda's distribution i have :

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/ucs/utf8x.def

the problem is here also with utf8x

> Did you look into the LOG file?

yes no problem

> Apple's pstopdf is not really reliable on dvips output. Ps2pdf from
> Ghostscript is better suited.

yes but same problem

The problem is here with TeXshop and TeXniscope but not with Acrobat
reader 7.0.7 with a printer Brother HL 2070

With Linux and Acrobat and tetex3 no problem.

> Do you have xpdf available? It has a very useful CLI programme:
> pdffonts. This way you could find out which fonts are actually
> included in the PDF file that give the unwanted shapes.

Yes with linux but xpdf is a part of pdftex 1.30.5 and 1.30.6 and i
don't have actually xpdf; in the log i have :

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2. Is it easy to install
pdfetex 1.30.6 ?

Greetings Alain Matthes

Remark : With Ubuntu on a dell, i have some problem with ucs because
there is a utf8.def with ucs package. If i don't install ucs,
  i can work very well with utf8