[OS X TeX] Are two bib files needed to get correct issue numbers?

Matthew Inglis m.j.inglis at warwick.ac.uk
Fri May 12 04:50:53 EDT 2006

I often have to prepare documents using either the APA citation style
or, for example, the Harvard style. This causes a big problem
regarding issue numbers:

The APA style demands that issue numbers are not included at all
unless each and every issue of the journal begins at page 1.
Consequently if you include an issue number in your bib file the
apacite package assumes the journal numbers each issue from p.1 and
includes the issue number. Most other styles (including Harvard),
however, demand that issue numbers are always included.

The only way I can find to satisfy these requirements is to maintain
two different bib files, one that only includes issue numbers for
those articles in journals which begin each issue at page 1, and one
bib file with all issue numbers included. This is obviously annoying,
and it seems to me that the format of bib files should be independent
of citation style.

Has anyone else encountered this, or a similar, issue? And is there
some kind of obvious automated solution that I've overlooked (I'm
using bibdesk)?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew