[OS X TeX] TeXniscope problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun May 14 09:07:01 EDT 2006

On May 13, 2006, at 8:09 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> My first impression was that pdftricks placed each figure into a
>> separate file (although there was a common file containing
>> \usepackage's for the requested packages) while ps4pdf placed the
>> figures on separate pages in a single file and extracted the
>> images page by page into the original document. I can see
>> situations where one method might be more convenient than another
>> when having to send the documents to someone else for review but
>> not otherwise.
>>
>> Are there other differences that are worth mentioning?
>
> Absolutely.
> The ways these packages work has a significant effect on how they
> can be used, when you want to do more than just include some
> stand-alone images/figures which require PostScript.
>
> Put simply,  ps4pdf  and  pst-pdf   act as output-filters,
> whereas  pdftricks  acts as an input-filter.
>
> By an output filter, I mean that with  ps4pdf  loaded, when you
> run your job in  TeX+dvips+Ghostscript  mode, all the document
> processing is done as per normal, but the only output that is
> produced is that which is contained within the \PSforPDF{...}
> commands --- or  {postscript}  (and some other) environments
> using  pst-pdf .
>
> This means that you can include arbitrary (La)TeX material,
> including counter-values and cross-references, citations, etc.
> The correct values will be displayed in the resulting PDF image.
>
> ... other VERY interesting information

Howdy,

Thanks for the information. I guess I always thought of the figures
as being stand alone objects and not integrated into the document
(i.e., containing cross references, etc.). All of this was
enlightening and will be placed in my (rather large now) file of
helpful information.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)