[OS X TeX] PATH usw.

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat May 20 07:59:48 EDT 2006

On May 20, 2006, at 10:10, Michael Schreiter wrote:

> Hallo Leute,
>
> wie kann ich den Pfad zu den TeXLive-Programmen zur Umgebungsvariable
> PATH hinzufügen?

If you use X11, other people may be able to tell you. If you use
TeXShop, or iTeXMac, it is not necessary at all. If you use
Terminal.app and a shell therein, this will be done automatically if
you use the TeX i-Package to install. The PATH entry is available
afterwards for every newly opened window.

> Welchen shell-Befehl muss ich dafür ausführen und wie sieht dieser
> genau aus? Leider sind meine Kenntnisse in Bezug auf die UNIX-Shell
> unter Mac OSX lediglich rudimentär. Daher wäre ich für eine genau und
> präzise Antwort äußerst dankbar.
>
> Welche befehle sind auszuführen, nachdem ich neue Pakete installiert
> habe? Müssen diese mit einem bestimmten Präfix gestartet werden (Bsp.:
> sudo)?

If you want to install extra stuff like LaTeX macro packages inside
your texmf tree, the best place for personal use is ~/Library/texmf.
Make sure you put stuff in the right subdirectory or TeX will not be
able to find it. If you install in ~/Library/texfm you do not need to
do anything extra before you use it.

If you install extra fonts, I would always install in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local as a font normally requires a
recreation of th emap files and these you normally do not want in your
personal texmf tree. In that case, install in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local, run the appropriate map-file
enabling command (e.g. "sudo -H -u root updmap-sys --enable Map
foo.map"). The sam egoes for extensions that require the creation of
formats (.fmt files).

You can ask for more detailed support depending on what you want to
install exactly on which distribution (fink, darwinports, OzTeX,
i-Installer).

PS. TeX has changed considerably over the last years in terms of
directory structures, commands, etc. There are many outdated and
sometimes even damaging instructions around. At least for the
i-Installer distribution, you will not need to set the PATH at all. It
will just work.