[OS X TeX] [Slightly OT] LaTeX equations/fonts in Keynote -> PowerPoint

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon May 22 14:08:46 EDT 2006

On 5/22/06, Jung-Tsung Shen <jushen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologize in advance for this slightly off topic message.
>
> I am preparing the slides for some major conference using Keynote. In
> the slides, I extensively use LaTeXiT to generate all the equations,
> and symbols/characters for figures ... etc. Along with that, I also
> employed some unique features of Keynote to make some simple
> animations.
>
> However, I learned just now that the conference requires each speaker
> to upload their slides to the pre-installed computer with only
> PowerPoint installed.

Ouch

> Would PowerPoint be able to read most of the Keynote slides? Also,
> how's the compatibility? I am sure the simple slide function is OK,
> but I am more concerned about the equations and fonts.

Probably not. But you can convert KN presentation (File>Export> ) to
plenty of formats PP included. I would go rather with QT since PP like
any other M$ product confuses white and transparent - I have seen PP
presentations with equations generated by LaTeX and thus surrounded by
white boxes (they are coming with transparent background but PP takes
it as a white). Few equations in row have generate a series of
different whiteboxes which looks really bad

> I would appreciate if someone could provide his/her own experiences
> and things to pay attention to.

My son used KN -> QT conversion and was happy