[OS X TeX] Re: Installing a package on Mac-TeX -- chess

Oleg Kobchenko olegykj at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 20:10:58 EDT 2006

Herbert,

So you solved the installation problem for one set of
packages. But you see, it's monolythic, when any
of the packages changes, you need to rebuild your
whole bundle, otherwise it gets outdated.
I was looking for something that would be outside
thus independent of packages and their versions.

But that's a good starting point. My particular issue
was with chess, so your bundle is very relevant.

With this regard, is this all that is needed to
render chess in LaTeX? I want both freeform
intuitive board syntax (like ASCII art) and
PGN. Don't I also need the chess and/or chessfss packages?

Also I think there is confusion in naming the packages:
In Installing Mac SkakNew.pdf it refers to "skaknew"
the its own package, whereas the fonts package is called
"SkakNew fonts". On the other hand, on TUG, the fonts
packages is called "skaknew":
http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/skaknew.html
Also see the phrase "The skak and *skaknew* documentation
has been changed to use the *skaknew* package."