[OS X TeX] Re: Installing a package on Mac-TeX -- chess

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon May 22 20:36:54 EDT 2006

On May 22, 2006, at 7:10 PM, Oleg Kobchenko wrote:

> Herbert,
>
> So you solved the installation problem for one set of
> packages. But you see, it's monolythic, when any
> of the packages changes, you need to rebuild your
> whole bundle, otherwise it gets outdated.
> I was looking for something that would be outside
> thus independent of packages and their versions.

Howdy,

I agree. But I just wanted to point out that this particular case is
solved.

> But that's a good starting point. My particular issue
> was with chess, so your bundle is very relevant.
>
> With this regard, is this all that is needed to
> render chess in LaTeX? I want both freeform
> intuitive board syntax (like ASCII art) and
> PGN. Don't I also need the chess and/or chessfss packages?

The original skak package (the one used in the MacSkakNew.zip file)
included (as you saw) mf versions of the chess fonts. It had to be
modified directly to use the skaknew type1 fonts. The change is
simple but I didn't want to just change skak.sty without renaming it;
ergo, the skaknew.sty package that I included.

The new version of the skak package uses chessfss to define the font
usage; it was built into the old, supplied, package. When you replace
the skak.sty with the new one you must also include the chessfss
package.

> Also I think there is confusion in naming the packages:
> In Installing Mac SkakNew.pdf it refers to "skaknew"
> the its own package, whereas the fonts package is called
> "SkakNew fonts". On the other hand, on TUG, the fonts
> packages is called "skaknew":
> http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/skaknew.html
> Also see the phrase "The skak and *skaknew* documentation
> has been changed to use the *skaknew* package."

I know. It was an unfortunate choice of name for the changed skak.sty
since it has led to some confusion. Basically the skaknew.sty file
behaves much, but not exactly, like the NEW skak.sty + chessfss when
called with \usepackage[skaknew]{skak}.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)