[OS X TeX] TeXLive install issues

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Nov 10 07:56:57 EST 2006

Le 10 nov. 06 à 11:58, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> - How to install XeTeX with the TeXLive-based setup on a PPC? This
> setup does not contain PPC XeTeX binaries. And you cannot use, I
> think, the various available install methods (using Apple's
> Installer and the .pkg distro, using i-Installer and the .ii2
> distro, compiling from source) for installing these binaries, given
> they also install a bunch of support files in texmf.local, whereas
> these support files are already present at the appropriate places
> inside the texmf.texlive tree.
>
> What I'll be trying right now is compiling from source using the
> build-xetex script, then edit the script install-xetex by
> commenting out the lines:
>
>> # copy our texmf additions into the local texmf tree
>> texmflocal=`kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL`
>> if [ "x${texmflocal}" == "x" ]; then
>> 	# if --var-value didn't work, try to find the definition in the
>> texmf.cnf file
>> 	CNF=`kpsewhich texmf.cnf`
>> 	texmflocal=`sed -rne "s/^[ \t]*TEXMFLOCAL[ \t]*=[ \t]*(\/[^ \t]
>> +).*/\1/p" ${CNF}`
>> fi
>>
>> mkdir -p ${texmflocal}
>> if [ -d texmf/.svn ]; then
>> 	# if we're installing from a Subversion WC, make a copy and clean
>> it up
>> 	# (don't rely on svn export here in case svn isn't in the current
>> PATH)
>> 	cp -pRf texmf Work/texmf-nosvn
>> 	find Work/texmf-nosvn -depth \( -name ".svn" -or -name ".DS*" \) -
>> exec rm -rf {} \;
>> 	cp -pRf Work/texmf-nosvn/* ${texmflocal}/
>> 	rm -r Work/texmf-nosvn
>> else
>> 	cp -pRf texmf/* ${texmflocal}/
>> fi
>> find texmf -type f -and -not -path "*/.*" -print | sed -e
>> "s@^texmf@${texmflocal}@" >> ${filelist}
>
> and run the modified script. Is there a more straightforward
> procedure?

That wasn't a good idea, as it produces a message about non-matching
xetex.pool and ends up with a fail.

What I did finally is just run install-xetex unmodified. One added
bonus is that it is no longer necessary to add manually the recent
updates to fontspec, euenc and ifxetex: they're included in TRUNK and
installed by install-xetex in texmf.local.

I just hope that all these files in texmf.local will be fully
consistent with those already in texmf.texlive.

Regarding the source directories within the various trees:

- What's the logic behind the selection and inclusion of these files.
That is:

/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/source/
/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/

- Regarding the files inside /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/
xelatex/:

/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/xelatex/euenc
/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/xelatex/fontspec
/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/xelatex/unimath
/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/xelatex/xltxtra

These look like a leftover, something necessary in the building stage
but forgotten afterwards. In particular, it seems the unimath
directory -- apparently an evolution of the experimental xmaths
package from the beginning of this year -- does not correspond to any
file inside /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/tex/xelatex/. Or did I
miss something obvious?