[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Nov 17 10:19:12 EST 2006

On Nov 17, 2006, at 8:48 AM, Norman Gray wrote:

> Claus, hello.
>
> While it's good that you've reminded us that the TeXLive
> distribution is available and pretty reliable, I think you're being
> uncharitable about the value of Gerben's distribution, and probably
> optimistic about the support load required.
>
> I've fiddled with multiple TeX distributions in my time, and if I
> recall correctly TeXLive was one of the best, in that it got
> everything 99% correct, and required very little tweaking
> afterwards.  Gerben's, however, got everything 100% right, as far
> as I was concerned; and that's impressive, as that last 1% is the
> really hard one.
>
> The novelty of tweaking my TeX distribution has long passed me by,
> thank heaven.
>
> On 2006 Nov 17 , at 12.28, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>
>> even a fairly skilled tex literate, as I consider myself, feels as
>> being treated like a child who can only accept what is offered
>
> Gerben's distribution didn't treat me like a child.  It treated me
> as something who had other things to think about.  And if I want
> more, or want it arranged differently, I can just rewrite texmf.cnf
> -- what's the problem?
>
> On top of that, Gerben's distribution wasn't just the TeX tree --
> more than half the value was a set of other utilities which
> installed painlessly (that is, in under two blasted wasted days)
> and worked together transparently.  I do _not_ want the hassle of
> working that out for myself.
>
>> Regarding your P.S., I am sure that texlive will require no
>> support for the average user
>
> Hmmm.  Would you lay money on that?
>
> All the best,
>
> Norman

Howdy,

I know I should say more when quoting someone but I have to fully
agree with Norman here. I've found gwTeX a delight to install and use
and Gerben has always been very helpful in making additions and being
on the bleeding edge. It has been wonderful and I'll miss his effort
on our behalf.

Having said that, I think we do have to look to the future and I've
been sitting on the sideline here and trying to absorb all the
interesting work and discussion going on.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)