[OS X TeX] i-installer team?

Peter Pagin peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se
Fri Nov 17 11:15:53 EST 2006

Hello,
it strikes me as too much of a loss not to make use of the i-installer +
i-packages scheme for future installations after, say, 2007, as it has
worked so fantastically well. Wouldn't it be possible to form an
i-installer team that would take on itself to update the installer and
the packages on maybe a less frequent basis (once a year?), and without
the commitment to personal support that Gerben has lived up to?
(Unfortunately, as I am incompetent, it would be without me.)

Peter

Norman Gray wrote:

> Claus, hello.
>
> While it's good that you've reminded us that the TeXLive distribution
> is available and pretty reliable, I think you're being uncharitable
> about the value of Gerben's distribution, and probably optimistic
> about the support load required.
>
> I've fiddled with multiple TeX distributions in my time, and if I
> recall correctly TeXLive was one of the best, in that it got
> everything 99% correct, and required very little tweaking afterwards.
> Gerben's, however, got everything 100% right, as far as I was
> concerned; and that's impressive, as that last 1% is the really hard one.
>
> The novelty of tweaking my TeX distribution has long passed me by,
> thank heaven.
>
> On 2006 Nov 17 , at 12.28, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>
>> even a fairly skilled tex literate, as I consider myself, feels as
>> being treated like a child who can only accept what is offered
>
> Gerben's distribution didn't treat me like a child.  It treated me as
> something who had other things to think about.  And if I want more, or
> want it arranged differently, I can just rewrite texmf.cnf -- what's
> the problem?
>
> On top of that, Gerben's distribution wasn't just the TeX tree -- more
> than half the value was a set of other utilities which installed
> painlessly (that is, in under two blasted wasted days) and worked
> together transparently.  I do _not_ want the hassle of working that
> out for myself.
>
>> Regarding your P.S., I am sure that texlive will require no support
>> for the average user
>
> Hmmm.  Would you lay money on that?
>
> All the best,
>
> Norman

> Norman Gray  /  http://nxg.me.uk
> eurovotech.org  /  University of Leicester, UK

Professor
Department of Philosophy, Stockholm University
106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
tel: +46-8-162813, fax: +46-8-152226
email: peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se