[OS X TeX] pdfpages, path, spaces, alias

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 24 09:36:54 EST 2006

On 24-nov-2006, at 15:27, Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> I want to use pdfpages.sty. pdfpages does not allow spaces in path
> names. But I need file and path names with spaces (and with umlauts
> too). So I thougt I could make aliases of the PDF file that I want
> to include in the same directory as the TeX files resides. But it
> doesn't work.

Don't use Mac OS aliases, use unix symbolic links:

1) in the terminal type 'ln -s ' (without the quotes)
2) From the finder, drag the file in question to the terminal window.
3) type a space in the terminal
4) drag the directory where you want the link to appear to the terminal.
5) Make sure there is no space after the final / in the command-line,
and type the name you want to use for the link.
6) press enter.

> Is there a way to cheat pdfpages?

Putting double quotes around the name will work for spaces. Umlauts
depend on the encoding, and are a lot harder, until we all switch to
a UTF-8 based TeX (LuaTeX, XeTeX). Even then it will take time before
everything is supported.

Maarten