[OS X TeX] basic etiquette

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 08:26:20 EST 2006

On 11/27/06, Roberto Avanzi <roberto.avanzi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2006, at 13:10, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
> > At this moment GW binaries seem to be slightly off the cutting edge:
> > pdftex 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 instead of 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 the latest
> > stable and to keep packages I use up-to-date, I rey upon mpm and
> > myself rather than any distribution.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but what is mpm, how do I use it on my mac?

See my other post

> Of course I would be delighted to use always cutting edge packages
> and binaries, because, in fact, I like to break my workflow by
> using newest stuff with bugs and regressions instead of a safer,
> stable solution.  That's me.

You are not alone. mpm for mac/UNIX does not install binaries but
latex packages and it intals them in the texmf.local tree, and one can
uninstall them easily.

While it is true that new versions of packages could require some
changes, it IMHO happens rather seldom and the changes are very
minimal.