[OS X TeX] About ~/Library/texmf/

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Nov 28 07:27:08 EST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 7:01 AM, Anthony JACOB wrote:

> I wonder about ~/Library/texmf/, I haven't this directory and I
> think I need it to install some personnal packages or packages
> which are not include in TeXLive. (I use Gerben's TeXLive 2005). In
> fact, I use some time some modified *.cls (article, report and
> book) and I would like to install them in ~/Library/texmf/ in order
> to not have always to put *.sty *.cls in the same repertory as my
> *.tex.
>
> Is it possible to sort them by type of class ? i.e. to have a
> repertory wiht all class based on article.cls, a other for class
> based on book.cls etc ...

Yes. So long as all .cls files go into folders inside of ~/Library/
texmf/tex/latex this will work fine.

> My last question is about pictures for titlepage. For example,
> there is some pictures I include in my papers very often, and I
> would put them in one directory in ~/Library/texmf/ but I don't you
> where and how specify to each class to look the pictures.
> For example can I give as argument {~/Library/texmf/.../.../logo}
> to \graphicspath ?

Actually, any graphic in ~/Library/texmf/tex or sub-directories
thereof will be found.

> Finally, how can I have a "good" ~/Libray/texmf/ and where have I
> to put my personnal class !?

The TeX Directory Structure files are not exactly light reading, but
you may want to look at them to understand something of the
underlying mechanisms.

So long as you put things in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex you should be
fine though (test each file addition?) and a personal arrangement /
folder structure within that should work okay.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.