[OS X TeX] TeXShop typesetting and macro questions

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Mon Oct 2 14:52:19 EDT 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 02.10.2006 um 19:39 schrieb Chris Goedde:
>
>> My understanding is that the default pdfTeX script is 'pdflatex --
>> shell-escape'. This presumably gets called by the 'latex' and
>> 'latexinteractive' applescript commands. But these don't seem to
>> allow for arguments to be passed to pdfTeX. Is that not right?
>
> That's not right! First, --shell-escape is a non-default option.
> Second, TeXShop uses "engines" (little tcsh scripts) to *tex a
> document. Some basic commands are simply built-in – and you can set
> them in the preferences.

I'm confused then. In TeXShop on my machine, in the "Engine" tab of
the preferences, I see "pdflatex --shell-escape" as the latex
program. That's the default---I never changed this. pdflatex is a
link to pdfetex, which is a binary file, no?

What am I not understanding? What script is being run when I latex
something? If I were using tex+dvips+gs, then the script simpdftex
would run, but that's not what I use; I use pdftex, not tex+dvips+gs.

--
Chris Goedde